Wednesday, March 17, 2010

up in the air.

I just watched Up in the Air, and I have to say, I was not disappointed. I'm drawn to symmetry in film. when its predictable, its uninspiring. but when its subtle, and so secretly nuanced that you hope the person next to you missed it just so you can continue feeling special and clever, I'm totally riveted.
I found it acute, personal, poetic, and kinda brilliant--not because it was groundbreaking, but because it wasnt trying to be. i found the whole film refreshing.
but maybe thats because i was raised with a dad who traveled 200 days a year and taught me that checking bags is why people need shrinks and botox. Airport Security efficiency is apart of the Turner Code of Ethics. we do it right. and we do it fast.
Flying/Traveling was apart of who my dad was; it was his job description. something he did better than my mom, as well as, the means to his success. as soon as he moved to Houston, everything kind of changed though. He wasnt flying back and forth between home and work anymore, because home and work were 12 stories down and right across the street from eachother. so now he had all this time on his hands---something that had been so priceless before when metal detectors and baggage claim carts were concerned. and with those empty slots of time came this scary, suspended memoryidea of himself that was the only other face in his apartment.
i guess all i'm saying is, i get it. this, this movie, is something very real for me. not in a depressing or tragic way. just in the normal, this-is-life-kind-of-way that would very much like to be symbolic and beautiful, if you'd stop and notice the flowery ironies of how it once, so long ago, began.

also, anna kendrick is fantastic. GO TWILIGHT.

No comments:

Post a Comment